Columbiahouse.com, the online division of Columbia House Co., said yesterday that it entered a promotional partnership with musician Elton John. The promotion will be built around John’s upcoming “Greatest Hits” concert at Madison Square Garden, New York, in October.
Under the deal:
• Columbiahouse.com will make 1,000 preferred-seating tickets available online only to its members for purchase over the Internet.
• There will be several sweepstakes with prizes such as a trip to New York to attend the concert and meet John, and a baby grand piano autographed by John.
• Columbiahouse.com will feature exclusive, never-released tracks of John’s music for download, as well as streaming videos, interviews and backstage footage.
• The Web site will offer special sales of John’s music catalog.
• Columbiahouse.com will promote awareness of and contribute to the Elton John AIDS Foundation.
• Columbiahouse.com will cross-promote with EltonJohn.com.
The company, which sells compact discs, videos, DVDs and other items online and through mail order, said this is the first of several artist partnerships.
“It is the beginning of a new strategic direction for Columbiahouse.com and the first of many exciting artist partnerships we plan to announce in the coming months,” said Bill Ostroff, president of Columbiahouse.com.