Tech Firms Plan More Online Marketing

Share this article:
Spending next year for online lead generation will grow to nearly 45 percent of the total IT marketing budget, up from 40 percent in 2003, according to a trends study measuring the plans of 350 technology advertisers.

Online advertising's share of the budget will increase from 14 percent to 16 percent. Similarly, online lead generation will expand its share of spending to 28 percent next year from 26 percent in 2003.

The findings were part of the 2004 IT Marketing Trends Study released Friday by Boston-based IT content provider Bitpipe Inc. and Sam Whitmore's Media Survey. InsightExpress conducted the survey.

Seventy-three percent of respondents intend to use Webcasts in 2004, up from 55 percent this year. Sixty percent plan to use e-mail promotions, up from 44 percent this year who advertised in online newsletters.

The survey found e-mail promotion ranked as the best lead generation tool. It is expected to grow in use from 83 percent this year to 85 percent in 2004. Also, 82 percent will rely on white papers next year, up from 75 percent in 2003.

"IT buyers increasingly turn to white papers, especially in the early stages of the purchasing process," Sam Whitmore, editor of his self-named survey from Beverly, MA, said in a statement.

Confidence with the medium is encouraging marketers to allocate more money to online marketing. Technology advertisers earmarked 43 percent to direct mail or telemarketing and 16 percent to print advertising, a total of 59 percent. Offline marketing's share is now expected to shrink to 56 percent, the survey said.

Share this article:
You must be a registered member of Direct Marketing News to post a comment.

Next Article in Agency

Sign up to our newsletters

Follow us on Twitter @dmnews

Latest Jobs:

More in Agency

Are You Really Ready for Customer Experience?

Are You Really Ready for Customer Experience?

Marketers can talk a good game about customer centricity, but actions speak louder than words.

Essentials in Content Marketing: Think like a best-selling author

Essentials in Content Marketing: Think like a best-selling ...

Imagine if all the electronic content thrown your way daily was actually printed on paper. To stand out from those piles of worthless pixels, you must offer your audiences intriguing ...

The Mobile-Email Marriage

The Mobile-Email Marriage

Marketers who considered leaving email at the altar are finding renewed passion for the channel as an ever-increasing number of customers triage, read, and click-through email on their smartphones.