Latin America's Got Game

Share this content:

No matter which team takes home the World Cup trophy this year, one thing is clear: Latin America loves mobile and marketers love Latin America.



With the 2014 FIFA World Cup about to kick off in June, all eyes are on Latin America, where mobile usage is through the roof and technology adoption is booming.

The stats speak for themselves. According to Brazil-based media and marketing company IMS, Latin America (abbreviated as LatAm among the initiated) is home to the fastest growing Internet-using population in the world. To put that into perspective, the annual growth of U.S. consumers online is at about 1%. The annual growth of Internet users in Latin America? Twelve times that.

But the numbers get really striking when you move into the social realm. While 67% of U.S. Internet users spend time on social networking sites, a whopping 97.5% of Internet-connected LatAmmers use social media. Maybe the remaining 2.5% just momentarily misplaced their phones while IMS was doing its study?

Numbers released by IDC also paint a rosy picture: In 2013 alone, smartphones sales grew by more than 50% and tablet sales shot up 234% (!!) across the continent.

Latin America is clearly a brand's real-time marketing paradise—and the World Cup will be its field of play.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how it all plays out. Coke, Nike, Adidas, McDonalds, and other brand titans are all lacing up as we speak.

Touché.

 
Loading links....

Sign up to our newsletters

Company of the Week

We recently were named B2B Magazine's Direct Marketing Agency of the Year, and with good reason: We make real, measureable, positive change happen for our clients. A full-service agency founded in 1974, Bader Rutter expertly helps you get the right message to the right audience at the right time through the right channels. As we engage our clients' audiences along their journey, direct marketing (email, direct mail, phone, SMS) and behavioral marketing (SEM, retargeting, contextual) channels deliver information relevant to the needs of each stage. We are experts at implementing and leveraging marketing technologies such as CRM and marketing automation in order to synchronize sales and marketing communications. Our team of architects and activators plan, execute, measure and adjust in real time to ensure the strategy is working as needed and change things if it's not.

Find out more here »

DMN's Career Center

Check out hundreds of exciting professional opportunities available on DMN's Career Center.  
Explore careers in digital marketing, sales, eCommerce, marketing communications, IT, data strategies, and much more. And don't forget to update your resume so employers can contact you privately about job opportunities.

>>Click Here