USPS Proceeds on Intelligent Mail, Address Quality
"We have staffed the organization, drafted the Intelligent Mail Corporate Plan, established an officer-level steering committee and an executive-level working group to assist in setting the course," said Bravo, the group's senior vice president.
He highlighted these points in his presentation yesterday:
· The USPS has created a Mail Technology Strategy Council with participation from leading technology organizations in the industry. The first meeting is set for this month.
· The USPS is initiating a study to improve its understanding of printing, barcoding and mail preparation technology used by the mailing industry. This will help determine the postal service's strategy for future intelligent mail codes that would be used for individual mail pieces.
· Following the Transformation Plan's directive to develop intelligent mail products that track pieces from induction to delivery, the USPS established a "OneCode Vision." This involves creation of one standardized, information-rich code that links to a suite of services, including mail processing sorting, address change services, postage payments and certified mail services.
· He also cited these achievements regarding improved address quality:
· Use of the Internet Change of Address service rose 32 percent in the first three months of the calendar year.
· Change of address forms have been deployed that can be scanned. This is designed to help automate the Change of Address process, enabling faster entry of the address information while eliminating keying errors.