Most Catalog Sales Were Strong in June; Sharper Image Woes Continue
The bad news continued for Sharper Image Corp., San Francisco, which said sales decreased 9 percent in the calendar month ended June 30 for a total of $46.1 million. Comparable-store sales dipped 10 percent in the period. Also, catalog/direct marketing sales plummeted 36 percent to $8.5 million. Internet sales declined 4 percent to $6.7 million.
The picture was sunnier at Abercrombie & Fitch, New Albany, OH, which reported a 52 percent gain in net sales for the five weeks ended July 2 for a total of $221.6 million. Comparable-store sales skyrocketed 38 percent in the period.
Other companies reporting results yesterday:
· Chico's FAS, Fort Myers, FL, generated a 40 percent increase in sales for the five weeks ended July 2, totaling $131 million. Same-store sales rose 18.8 percent in the period.
· The Talbots Inc., Hingham, MA, posted a 9 percent gain in sales for the five weeks ended July 2, totaling $197.6 million. Same-store sales increased 5.9 percent for the month.
· Limited Brands, Columbus, OH, saw total net sales of $1.022 billion for the five weeks ended July 2, compared with net sales of $994.1 million last year. Same-store sales were flat in June.
· The Neiman Marcus Group, Dallas, experienced an 8.2 percent increase in total revenue for the five weeks ended July 2, totaling $351 million. Comparable revenue in the specialty stores segment rose 7.6 percent for the month. Also, comparable revenue at Neiman Marcus Direct increased 22.2 percent.
· Federated Department Stores, Cincinnati, reported sales of $1.437 billion for the five weeks ended July 2, up 3.1 percent. On a same-store basis, sales were up 2.9 percent.
· J.C. Penney Company Inc., Plano, TX, said sales totaled $1.537 billion for the five weeks ended July 2, an 8.2 percent gain over last year. Same-store sales rose 7.4 percent in the period. Also, catalog/Internet sales increased 9.1 percent to $216 million. Internet sales alone gained about 40 percent.
· JoS. A. Bank Clothiers Inc., Hampstead, MD, generated a 23.8 percent increase in sales for the fiscal month ended July 2, totaling $40 million. Comparable-store sales rose 7.5 percent in the period. Also, combined catalog and Internet sales increased 30.2 percent.
· Nordstrom Inc., Seattle, posted total sales of $773.5 million for the five weeks ended July 2, up 9.3 percent. Same-store sales increased 8.1 percent.
· On Wednesday The Bombay Company Inc., Fort Worth, TX, posted a 2 percent drop in sales for the five weeks ended July 2, totaling $49.4 million. Same-store sales declined 2 percent in the period.
Chantal Todé covers catalog and retail news and BTB marketing for DM News and DM News.com. To keep up with the latest developments in these areas, subscribe to our daily and weekly e-mail newsletters by visiting www.dmnews.com/newsletters