Insert media offers revenue stream through distribution
Leon Henry, chairman and CEO, Leon Henry Inc.
The news from the insert media front is bright and getting brighter. Even with social media and related Internet activities, insert media is expanding its reach.
Many companies know a source of revenue is available by partnering with logical and noncompetitive advertisers. These companies understand that income from distributing inserts in their outgoing packages, statements and catalogs more than offsets the set up and distribution costs. A cataloger with 1 million shipments yearly stands to earn $240,000 on a net basis.
Mailers that need to reach specific markets find that there are many companies offering insert distribution services. It's easy to reach millions of senior citizens or new homeowners among many categories.
The U.S. Postal Service has acknowledged that there is an income stream by encouraging inserts in various venues, specifically statements. Large utilities, banks, Visa card companies and other major senders of monthly statements will get an extra ounce of advertising to sell to insert mailers. The additional postage will be minimal, encouraging statement mailers to participate with those companies offering the service. Since major advertisers have experience in using statements, this is a win-win situation for all concerned.
The growth of distribution programs has provided greater competition for advertisers and pushed down the rates making the medium even more attractive. Here are eight rules for successful insert media campaigns.
- Consider using a broker. Their expertise is available as part of the purchase.
- Test. Start with tried and true large insert programs for quick results. The medium is expanding daily and you should also be testing your new programs by using one insert to test. Make the results the basis of future insert programs.
- Ask lots of questions. Like all new media, there are tricks to understand.
- Key inserts by program. Be sure you know which program responded.
- Use the right sources. Make sure your broker uses a quality printer and other resources.
- Insist on proof of receipt. Be sure your inserts are received and distributed.
- Pay the right price. Like everything else in life, price is negotiable.
- Expect less, get more. Insert media is a numbers game. With results, you will know how to proceed.
With all the media vying for your attention, inserts have the ability to produce solid results.