FedEx Offers 10% Discount on Online ShippingExpress shipper FedEx said yesterday that its FedEx Express division is offering qualified customers a chance to save 10 percent on list shipping rates for many express services with the new FedEx Online Express Savings Program.
New and existing U.S.-based customers may apply at www.fedex.com, and eligible customers can open an account number instantly online and immediately begin using the program. Customers may apply through Nov. 30, and the discount will be available until further notice from FedEx, Memphis.
Qualifying customers include companies that do not already have a discount.
"Many small- and medium-size businesses now use FedEx to operate more profitably and efficiently," said T. Michael Glenn, president/CEO of FedEx Services. "This program will introduce other customers to the ease, speed and convenience of fedex.com and give them instant access to our broad portfolio of global shipping and business-building services."
Qualifying participants also will become registered users of FedEx Ship Manager at fedex.com. According to FedEx, with FedEx Ship Manager, customers can:
· Prepare and print domestic and international shipping labels.
· Ship packages via FedEx Express.
· Track package status online from origin to destination 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
· Get an account-specific rate quote to determine quickly the transportation charges for sending a shipment from anywhere in the United States to destinations worldwide.
· Store up to 1,000 frequently used addresses in their FedEx Ship Manager address book.
· Generate an online record of their transactions.
· Request a FedEx Express courier pickup.
· Notify up to three parties and the shipper via e-mail that the package is on its way or has been delivered.
The FedEx Online Express Savings Program will be supported by an integrated marketing campaign, including national television, print, radio and online advertising.
FedEx is not the only shipper offering online discounts. The U.S. Postal Service said last month that it is offering rate discounts to customers who buy the Global Express Guaranteed service online. The USPS is offering the discounts to customers who prepare and pay for shipments online, offering a standard discount for all such transactions and volume-based discounts for customers who ship minimum volumes weekly.
The discounts are limited to shipments prepared and paid for online because the online application can automatically track customer activity and volume for use in calculating rates, the USPS said. This capability is unavailable at retail terminals in post offices. The postal service also saves money when customers prepare and pay for shipments online.