Services Restored for All New Orleans ZIPs
Postal carriers will make street deliveries where possible. Over-the-counter service is available elsewhere.
"We are pleased to be able to reestablish mail services for every ZIP code in New Orleans," USPS Louisiana district manager Tony Ruda said. "[But] while delivery remains the objective, the safety of postal employees and customers remains our No. 1 priority."
Here is a summary of mail service in New Orleans:
· Central Business District in ZIP codes 70112, 70113, 70130: All customers including those served through centralized mailrooms at larger office buildings will receive mail delivery.
· French Quarter within ZIP code 70116: Letter carriers are providing delivery to residents and businesses in the 70116 area bounded by Rampart Street, Esplanade Avenue, Canal Street and the Mississippi River.
· Algiers 70114, 70131 and Elmwood Station 70121, 70123 customers: Carrier delivery service will continue in areas that are accessible. Limited retail service is available at both the Algiers Station and Elmwood Station.
· Carrollton Station codes 70118, 70125, 70178, 70185; Mid City Finance Station 70119, 70179; and Uptown Station 70115, 70122, 70124, 70175, 70182, 70184 customers: Over-the-counter mail pickup and limited retail services are available 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
· Outside the French Quarter, but within 70116: Mail can be picked up over the counter at the Uptown Station of the New Orleans Post Office, at 2000 Louisiana Ave.
· All other New Orleans ZIP code areas including those served through the Main Post Office in 70112, 70113: A temporary postal annex has been established at Julia and LaSalle streets to provide over-the-counter delivery service, post office box service and limited retail service. Other codes served by the temporary postal annex: 70117, 70177, 70126, 70186, 70127, 70187, 70128, 70188, 70129, 70189, 70141.
Outgoing mail should be given to postal employees, as collection boxes remain sealed. For the latest information, check www.usps.com.
Melissa Campanelli covers postal news, CRM and database marketing for DM News and DMNews.com. To keep up with the latest developments in these areas, subscribe to our daily and weekly e-mail newsletters by visiting www.dmnews.com/newsletters