SEO, shopping engine tips for retailers
To stay competitive in a crowded online marketplace and bring online
shoppers closer to the point of purchase, retailers should complement
traditional paid search programs by advertising on shopping engines
and improving organic search rankings through search engine
Shopping engines. Empowered by powerful comparison shopping tools,
more consumers are relying on shopping engines to deliver the best
deals online. However, most retailers are not including shopping
engines in marketing efforts. Here are six steps to gain a
• Focus on high-margin areas to maximize return on advertising
spending and enable the flexibility to test and optimize feeds
without detrimentally affecting the bottom line.
• Actively manage cost per click across campaign, category and
product to improve the click-through rate and conversion rate of
• Measure progress against goals by calculating account returns,
chargebacks and incentives in return on advertising spending or key
• Recognize how pricing and bidding factor into performance objectives.
• Maintain accurate data feeds that include all fields - not only
required fields - to improve the performance of listings.
• Take advantage of enhanced listing opportunities such as featured
placement, product and company logos and images, merchant reviews and
SEO for retailers. To boost site traffic and revenue use the
following key SEO tactics:
• Choose a flexible content management system that allows customized
page titles, meta tags, category naming and page copy, and one that
provides liberal space for product descriptions and in-context links.
• Optimize crawlability by allowing spiders to access all non-
sensitive content, store session IDs in a cookie instead of a URL,
and limit URLs to one or two dynamic variables.
• Choose keywords that are most frequently queried on major search
engines, are relevant to current site content and are targeted
specifically to the individual page.
• Focus on content that gives search engine spiders quality keyword-
rich text to spider - search engine algorithms reward informational
content over sales content.
• Build quality links to attract more relevant and higher ranked
Additionally, create unique product descriptions across a product
line to ensure Web crawlers don't exclude "copycat" pages.
If a site includes dynamic content typically invisible to search
engines, provide text links as part of your main site navigation. And
create in-depth text descriptions to ensure spiders accurately
Consider hosting blogs and microsites that are rich in keywords and
link to product pages to attract search engine